Vegan Recipe: Simply Delicious Lentil Soup
You can’t go wrong with a good lentil soup. Here is my go-to recipe, that can be adapted in a multitude of ways. It’s simple to make, and delicious : ) Pictured here served with gluten-free toast and avocado.
* Sauté 1 cup onions and five crushed garlic cloves in four tablespoons of olive oil
* Add one cup of diced celery and one cup of diced carrots. Sauté for a few minutes (busy mama tip: I sometimes buy the pre-chopped celery/carrot/onion combo from Trader Joe’s)
* Add three cups of dry green lentils (rinsed, of course)
* Add ten cups of vegetable broth or, ten cups water with two tablespoons of Better Than Bouillon, “No Chicken” base
* Add four bay leaves and 1.5 tablespoons powdered sage
* Cook until lentils are soft, about 30 or 40 minutes.
* Add additional vegetables such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, spinach, kale, or zucchini
* Add fresh herbs such as fresh sage (replace the powdered), parsley, or thyme
* To make it fat free, skip the olive oil and just sauté the onions and garlic in some vegetable broth